Farming Life by the Farmer's Wife

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Five Ways to Decorate with Antique Windows

I love old windows. There's so much history and character in them. Here's five ways I have decorated using antique windows in my home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#1
Any kind of decal can add so much to the glass of the window and can help incorporate your style to the decoration. You can use words or interesting designs. Decal found at RoomMates Peel and Stick Decor.

Side note: These decals are by far the best I've found. You can re-position as many times as you want until you get it right. They don't leave residue and don't peel paint off even after they have been there for a few years. I have found that if they are on the wall for a long time (I took one off that was there three years), and depending on the design of the decal, it's hard to not tear the decal itself while removing it. I had purchased this one for my son's bedroom three years ago and just removed "Baby." It was hard to save it (although I don't know why or if you would want to save them?)

#2
As a backdrop for a vignette. Use the window frame to hang decor off of or frame an image.
(Eventually I will pin the hats to the frame, rather than have them hanging on the wall, like pictured. Who else hates filling and re-touching holes in the wall?!)

#3
There's a lot going on in this picture, but the large window on the bottom right is one of the old storm windows from the farmhouse. The pieces at the top are old decorative fascia. Bring inside what was once outside to create a rustic gallery wall.

#4
Here's an example of how you can incorporate decals to fit a specific design and purpose. This one is over my washer and dryer. This window came from our barn and the decals have been applied directly to the wall.
Decal found at RoomMates Peel and Stick Decor.

#5
Here's my favourite way to use old screened windows. These are also from the farmhouse (I found these and the one from #3 idea in the basement.) The photos are Instagram prints from Social Print Studio. They are attached using Dollar Store or craft store flat base stud earring parts. I attached them using scrap-booking foam mounting squares, found in the same store you found the earring parts. Then just stick the stud through a hole in the screen (they just fit in these old screens), and attach in place with an earring stud back stopper. I can remove the mounting squares when I want to change the photos and reuse the earring parts, AND I can keep the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment